On the evening of Sunday 15 January, a fire erupted at the convent of Saint Demiana in the village of Bilqas in Daqhliya northeast of the Nile Delta. The local fire fighters were able to contain the blaze which, according to preliminary investigation, was sparked by an electric short circuit and then spread to a pile of old wooden beams stored nearby. Two of the convent nuns suffered suffocation from the smoke, and were directly moved to the local hospital.
Further investigations are ongoing.
16 January 2017