To mark the anniversary of the departure of Pope Kyrillos VI on 9 March 1971 (30 Amshir 1687 on the Coptic calendar), a museum of the Pope’s belongings was opened at the grounds of Saint Mark’s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Azbakiya, Cairo. The museum is located in a small hall named after Pope Kyrillos on the first floor of what used to be the papal headquarters during his time. The place hosting the museum was once the Pope’s bedroom, his personal residence.
Pope Kyrillos VI was canonised in 2013.
Spiritual evenings have been held daily from 5 to 9 March at St Mark’s to celebrate the modern-day saint’s feast. Under the theme “The Lord is near to those who call Him”, Vespers services and Masses were held daily, and included contemplation on the topic “faith and prayer”.
Saint Mark’s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Azbakiya had been the seat of Pope Kyrillos VI. However, during his papacy he built Saint Mark’s Coptic Orthodox Cathedral in Abbassiya in central Cairo, which then became the Seat of the Coptic Orthodox Pope.
Pope Kyrillos VI (1902 – 1971) was the 116th Pope of Alexadnria and Patriarch of the See of St Mark from 1959 until his death.
11 March 2018