“Tones of Civilisation” is the theme title of an exhibition that opened today at the Coptic Museum in Cairo and that runs till 15 September 2015. According to Dr Atef Naguib, General-Manager of the Museum, a number of antiquities are on display for the first time.
Running in line with the exhibition are other activities, among them a number of lectures on music along the ages: Pharaonic, Greco-Roman, Coptic and Islamic. There will also be activities for children to familiarise them with music.
The Coptic Museum was built on a plot of land that had been intended for the construction of a church in 1908, when Marcus Simaika Pasha, succeeded in having the approval of Patriarch Kyrillos V. It is adjacent to the 4th-century Hanging church that was built above the gatehouse of the Roman Babylon Fort.
The Museum was first inaugurated in 1910, then again in 1984 following restoration. It became a State museum in 1931 and its collections bequeathed by family legacies and donations have continued to grow.
1 September 2015