Some 63 years on his passing away in 1951 the body of Saint Habib Girgis was moved from the family grave at al-Gabal al-Ahmar on the outskirtsa of Cairo to a shrine especially prepared for him at the church of the Holy Virgin in the district of Mahmasha in central Cairo.
Pope Tawadros II has delegated The Bishop of Minya, Anba Macarius, and the Bishop of the Sharq al- Sikka al-Hadid, Anba Martirus were commissioned by Pope Tawadros II to supervise the move.
According to Watani’s Robeir al-Faris, the coffin of St Habib Girgis was opened some four years ago during the filming of film on the life of the saint. His body was found whole and intact, and Father Theodosius al-Suriani took a photo of it. However, since the deceased archdeacon has not been declared a saint yet, the incident was kept secret.
The Archdeacon Habib Girgis (1876 – 1951) was granted sainthood by the Holy Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria and All Africa last June. He was no bishop, priest or even monk or hermit, yet the amazing life and ministry of this layman in the late 19th and early 20th centuries made a great contribution to the Coptic Church. He almost single-handedly developed the Clerical College into what is today and became its dean. He was also pivotal in founding the Coptic Orthodox Sunday School movement and in writing its first curriculum.
The late Pope Shenouda III in 1990 inaugurated the museum of Habib Girgis at the St Mark Cathedral.
(Visited 103 times, 1 visits today)