Mobile in North Korea
Mobile operator Orascom Telecom has announced that it will offer 3G mobile services in North Korea starting this week, the first foreign telecom company to develop an advanced cellular phone network in the country where private cell phone ownership is banned. The Cairo-based company said it plans to invest $400 million in infrastructure and license fees in North Korea over the next three years and expects revenue per user of $12 to $15 in the first year of operation. Orascom subsidiary CHEO Technology won the first commercial license to provide mobile telephony services in the country. Orascom Telecom owns 75 per cent of CHEO Technology, while the remaining 25 per cent is owned by the state-owned Korea Post and Telecommunications. The duration of the license is 25 years with an exclusivity period of four years. Last month Orascom reported a 65% decline to $397.49 million in net income for the first nine months, compared to $1.3 billion for the same period in 2007. The company has operations in Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Zimbabwe.
A pharmaceuticals factory is to be set up in Qatar in collaboration with Egypt, according to a memorandum of understanding signed to this effect by Qatar’s Health Minister Sheikha Ghalia bint Mohammad al-Thani and Egypt’s Hatem al-Gabali while on a recent visit to Doha. Dr Ghalia al-Thani said: “We intend to benefit from Egypt’s long standing experience in the pharmaceuticals industry as well as in the nursing and medical technology fields.” Dr Gabali discussed with Dr Ghalia al-Thani the need to recognise post graduate degrees in medicine granted by the Egyptian board of medicine and deem them on par with the degrees granted by the Arab board of medicine.
Proton Holdings may assemble its cars in Egypt to boost exports, managing director Datuk Mohamed Tahir said. The carmaker plans to set up an office and a spare parts warehouse in Egypt, he said during a recent meeting with Proton Gen.2 club members in Cairo. “I believe Egypt will be an important market for us, with more than 5,000 cars sold here so far.” Egypt is one of the larger automotive markets in the Middle East North Africa region, with total sales of about 250,000 new cars a year. Proton first launched Waja and Wira models in Egypt in 2001 and brought in the Gen.2 hatchback in 2006.
A Friendship Agreement has been signed between the Mubarak Public Library in Luxor and the Baltimore Public Library. The agreement was signed during a recent visit by Sheila Dixon, Mayor of Baltimore to Luxor.
In Luxor temple
Egypt’s Luxor Temple has been chosen by the world football governing body FIFA to conduct the draws for the Youth World Cup due in Egypt next year. FIFA vice-president Jack Warner said that Luxor temple was selected for its breath-taking view, which tells the history of the Egyptian civilisation. The temple will dazzle all viewers watching the event, he said.