Today, Catholics around the world and in Egypt celebrate the glorious Nativity of Christ, Christmas. I extend my heartfelt wishes for a happy Christmas to heads of Churches, members of the clergy, Church servants and congregations, praying for the Lord to bestow on them His joy and peace on this blessed occasion.
I would also like to note that this week, on 21 December, Watani celebrated its 64th anniversary and stepped into the 65th year of its journey and mission, carrying with it a great legacy of achievements, and aspiring for a bright promising future for Egypt, the Church and all Egyptians under the umbrella of our one nation.
As at every yearend, we bid one year farewell and welcome a new one in; this makes it apt that we review the elapsed year, all the issues it brought and the events that took place. Watani’s editorial team thus presents in its Arabic version of this issue of 25 December 2022 a review of the year 2022 as tackled in Watani. In the same vein, I would like to give a review of the issues tackled through the editorials I wrote during 2022.
Out of a total 52 editorials written in 2022, 45 came under the Problems on hold series, and tackled both local and international issues. Here is a review of the issues tackled, listed by title.
Topic relating to the Church and Copts:
- Wrapped in the tender love of the Father
- Different dates for Christian feasts
- Amid pain and sorrow: God’s voice rings clear
- Joy in Resurrection … Solace in martyrdom
- Al-Azhar Grand Imam: Honourable declarations, one comment
- 23rd batch of unlicensed churches approved for legality
- Building, restoration, and legalisation of unlicensed churches: Seven-year tally
- Family Law for Christians in Egypt: Gender equality on hold
- Bright days for Egypt and the Church: History replayed
- Church up to societal challenges
- Church fires: Wakeup call
- 150 years of Coptic press
- 150 years of Coptic Press: Gem of a heritage
Topics relating to the Egyptian family:
- 2021 Achievements and failures: The file on Egyptian women
- Watani addresses homosexuality
Repercussions of coronavirus pandemic:
- In Egypt and the world.. Coronavirus restrictions: Where to?
- Is PCR a diagnostic test?
The Egyptian street:
- Revisiting the tuk tuk issue
- Call centres … what jobs?
- Cairo Governorate launches Cairo Bike: Where are the lanes?
- Environment friendly Cairo Bike: Still way to go
- International North Coastal Road: Gilding the Lily
- As EGP declines: Repricing durable goods?
- In order to stop the haemorrhage of EGP vs USD: Egypt follows Russia and China?
- New tax relief, new hope
- On tax relief law
- Where was the Tourism Police?
- Egypt Economic Conference 2022
- National Dialogue and political parties
- These appalling architectural non-styles
- As it nears its 65th anniversary: Watani re-accredited by SCMR.
This was a review of the local issues tackled in 2022. Next week I will review the international issues.
Discussion about this post